RISE weekend is a personal growth conference where women from every walk of life come together to be inspired by Rachel Hollis and friends. Check out my top takeaways from day three – own your future!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read the full disclosure.
RISE weekend is a two day personal growth conference where women from every walk of life come together to be inspired, supported and enveloped in a like-minded community. This year they added an optional health and wellness day to feed women’s bodies and souls with positivity and acceptance.
Want to know what it really took to get to this conference? Click here.
I have been to a few conferences in the past, but this was my first ever personal growth conference. It was nothing like I have ever experienced and more than I ever expected. It was part conference, part workout, part comedy act, part dance party and the energy was always high. Rachel Hollis and friends lit up the stage and every single woman in that Minneapolis audience!
It’s been two weeks since I attended RISE and I am finally able to unpack it all mentally. My workbooks are littered with notes, my camera roll is full of inspirational video clips and I am ready to unapologetically go after my dreams.
Here are MY biggest takeaways, MY aha moments from RISE Minneapolis Day 3 – Own Your Future.
DAY 3 – OWN YOUR FUTURE
Dream big, then make those dreams even bigger! And, create a road map that will take you from where you are to where you want to go.
Do you know where you want to go?
Before I get to my takeaways, I’m going to challenge you to look at your future. Do you know where you want to go? Do you have a vision for what your life looks like in 1 year, 5 years or 10 years?
Or are you just flying by the seat of your pants?
As women, the world tries to tell us who we can and can’t be. Whether it be society, your parents, your friends, your husband, your in-laws or strangers on the internet. But, here’s the truth – you are whoever and whatever you want to be. So, what are you going to be?
I have a clear vision!
I have always been a goal setter, something I thank my days as an athlete for. And, I most definitely am a dreamer. But it’s just been in the last ten months that I have developed a vision of where I want to go. And, thanks to Rachel and RISE I have a couple new tools to get crystal clear on my vision. RISE also reaffirmed that I can be an ‘AND woman’… I can be an amazing mama AND go after my dreams, I can show up for my marriage AND make myself a priority and so on. What’s your version of “and”?
Takeaways from Rachel Hollis
Day 3 was by far my favourite day of RISE! Rachel lead us through an exercise that had us visualize where we want to be in 10 years. Once we completed the visualization, we broke down our 10 years into10 dreams and chose one goal to focus on. This is the exact process she uses in her START TODAY journal. After we decided on one goal, Rachel taught us exactly how to create a road map to achieve our goal. The tactical tools she gave us at RISE are so so valuable!
She ended the day with some serious truths. She drilled home that we are the ones responsible for making change in our lives. You want to change your life, then YOU need to change your life. It’s on YOU! What are you going to do with this one precious life? She talked about the importance of self care. She asked us who we need to be in order to have the live the life we envision and then claim a word that defines who we need to be.
And then, just when you thought it was over, she wrapped the whole conference in a bow and presented us with her five takeaways. Here they are…
- Don’t compare your life to hers, or anyone else’s for that matter. It doesn’t serve either one of you. Comparison robs you of your motivation. Remember, you are on your own unique journey.
- You will no longer – ever – feel guilty for who you are. You were made this way for a reason. Shame and guilt do not serve you and you will never get to where you want to go if you do not love who you are right now.
- Take care of yourself! Self care is not a mask on Sunday. It’s therapy, sleep, water and salad (aka food that fuels your body). Refuse to suffer, because you have control. YOU are in control of how you take care of yourself. Consistently fill up your cup and let it spill on to those you love.
- Create a badass playlist! And only use it when you absolutely need it.
- Commit to “Five to Thrive” for the next 30 days.
Takeaways from Dave Hollis
Mr Dave Hollis, y’all! Dave took the stage first thing in the morning and I was so excited to hear his perspective. He left his corporate job with Walt Disney just over a year ago to become the CEO of The Hollis Co, the company his wife Rachel had built until then and now they build together. Dave spoke for over an hour and I have so many takeaways from his keynote.
He started by sharing openly about what it was like for him to watch Rachel grow personally and go after her dreams when he was okay with the way things were. He was vulnerable about how Rachel’s growth made him feel as though she was going to out grow him and how his intentions to keep her “safe” manifested his own fears. In time he started on his own personal growth journey and realized he was built for more.
After he shared his story, he dove right into the obstacles we would face as soon as we returned home from the conference. The obstacles that get in our way – the main one being ourselves. We all get in our own way! And once we come to terms with that, we have a much greater chance of staying out of our own way. He advised, in order to stay out of our own way we need to take a closer look at our relationships and our identity.
Dave Hollis’ 5 Relationships To Consider To Get Out Of Your Own Way
- Relationship with Media.
- You are in control of what you consume. Are you consuming media that inspires you or are you consuming media that brings you down? Audit your social media feeds so they reflect the person who you want to become.
- Relationship with your Calendar.
- You are in control of your calendar. Is your calendar running your life or is your life running your calendar? Are you saying yes to things that don’t serve you? Your calendar needs to dictate the kind of life you want to live.
- Relationship with Food & Wellness.
- Does the way you care for your body reflect the person you want to be? The life you want to have? You need to fuel your body with nutritious foods and work out to keep your energy up. Dave said, “The power plant doesn’t have power, it creates power. You have to create your energy.”.
- Relationship with your Circle.
- If you are the smartest person in your circle, you need a new circle. You become like the people you spend the most time with, so choose wisely.
- Relationships with your Kids.
- Everyone asks Rachel what her dream is going to do to her kids, but no one asks Dave. In fact, when he was travelling for work with Walt Disney people told him he was setting a great example for his kids.You see, the world tries to tell women who they can be. You need to know that you can be whoever and whatever you want to be and that in itself sets a great example for your children.
Lastly, identity. What story are you telling yourself about who you are and what is possible for your life? The way you view your past and your present directly affects your future. You have to do the hard work to reconcile those experiences. The story you are telling yourself today is your truth, but know at any moment you can rewrite that story and your truth.
Takeaways from How She Built This
In the final afternoon, Rachel hosted a “How She Built This” panel discussion. The panel included Mally Roncal of Mally Beauty, Lisa Bilyeu of Quest Nutrition and Impact Theory, and Luz Maria Doria who is the Executive Producer for Despierta America.
All I can say is WOW! The discussion was raw, real and powerful. There was talk about fear, failure and what they would have told their 18 year old selves. Each woman offered something brilliant and I really related to Lisa Bilyeu’s story. Before she started Quest (and 5 companies that failed before that), she fell into what she knew – being a stay at home wife – and there’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s what you chose and you want. She touched on how her past made her who she is today, she would rather try and fail than not try at all and how her success came because she tried not because she’s special. So so good!
3 Takeaways I Am Implementing Today:
- Continuing my daily gratitude and goals practice using the Start Today Journal
- Using Rachel’s tactical tools to get crystal clear on my vision and create a road map.
- Showing up authentically every day.
That’s a wrap on my takeaways from RISE. By now you should be fired up… I sure am! Whatever you dream for your life – it’s possible. Whoever you want to be – that’s up to you. You have one precious life and it’s yours to create… what are you going to make of it?!
More from this series!
Did you miss my day 1 takeaways? Click here to be inspired by Rachel Hollis and Nick Santonastasso!
Check out my takeaways from day 2 & be inspired by Rachel Hollis, Jen Hatmaker and Trent Shelton!
Prefer Video Highlights?
Click here to watch my #RISExMINN story highlights on instagram!