Interested in creating a farmhouse sign, but don’t have any power tools? This simple and inexpensive DIY on how to make a farmhouse sign using Dollar Store artist panels will blow your mind.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read the full disclosure.
I was browsing the aisle’s of my local Dollar Store. In other words, I was on the hunt for some budget friendly decor for our modern farmhouse laundry room makeover. During my hunt I came across these artist panels. So, I stopped to take a closer look. I checked out the front and then the back. Suddenly, I had a brilliant idea!
Guys, I am not lying when I say these DIY Dollar Store farmhouse signs will blow your mind!
I was so excited when this idea came to me! First, because I could create four signs for less than what it cost to buy one. Secondly, these signs would match perfectly with the DIY farmhouse sign I had already created for this space. Thirdly, I know one of the biggest barriers to DIYing is the expensive tools needed to complete the project and this DIY does not require a single tool. Yay!
In this tutorial, I will walk you through, step-by-step, how to create your very own custom DIY Dollar Store farmhouse sign. Oh, and… I will blow your mind!
Let’s get to it, shall we!
DIY DOLLAR STORE FARMHOUSE SIGN TUTORIAL
- Dollar Store Artist Panel
- White Paint
- Painters Tape
- Wood Stain
- Black Paint
- Foam Brush
- Hanging Hardware
- Sticky Tack
*Links are included so you can get a visual as to what I used, but know that almost everything on this list can be found at your local dollar store.
1. Flip your artist panel around and cover the inside with tape. The back of the artist panel will be the front of your sign. Yes, we are using the artist panel backwards. Brilliant, right?
Side Note: My local Dollar Store sells these artist panels in two sizes – 8” x 10” (which is what I used for this project) or 12” x 16” (totally picking some of these up for another project).
2. Stain the sides, as well as the back. I only needed one coat to achieve my desired look.
Heads Up: The front of the artist panel is wood, but the sides are not. Therefore, you will not get the wood grain look on the frame.
3. Remove the tape, then tape the inside of the frame and paint the inside of the sign white. I applied a couple coats of paint.
4. Once the paint is dry, remove the tape.
5. Adhere the stencil onto the area painted white and lightly dab on black paint with a foam brush. Be sure to wipe off excess paint before lightly dabbing so the paint doesn’t bleed under the stencil. Guys, when I say lightly I mean lightly!
Tip: I made my stencils with my Circut Explore Air. However, if you do not own this glorious machine then you can make a stencil using paper & pen, you can free hand it or check out Etsy for affordable custom vinyl stencils.
6. Apply as many coats of lightly dabbed black paint until you achieve your desired look. I applied 3 coats.
7. Once paint is dry, remove the stencil.
8. Attach your hanging hardware and put your stunning creation on display!
Tip: If you attached picture hangers in the middle of the panel like I did, then grab some sticky tack and place it on the bottom of the frame. Once you hang up your sign, level it and firmly push on the bottom of the frame so the sticky tack adheres to the wall and holds your sign firmly in place. No more adjusting crooked signs! You. Are. Welcome.
Start the carrr!!!! Get to the Dollar Store now to grab your artist panel so you can create your very own custom DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Sign for less than $10!
What do you think? Is this something you are interested in trying? Let me know in the comments below.
Oh, and be sure to pin this tutorial for later!