Have you been searching for a buffalo check rug? Well, you’ve come to the right place. I’m sharing how to make your very own DIY buffalo check rug in less time than it will take you to source one. Let’s get to it!
With my oldest starting Kindergarten last month and our family beginning the stage of earlier morning bus pick ups, I wanted to make our back entry a little (okay, A LOT!) more functional. And, I wanted to give our oldest a special place to sit and watch for the school bus in the morning. Enter, back entry update (full reveal to come)! I already scheduled three projects for the month of September, but this one quickly became priority.
I started by making a list of the ways this space needed to work for our family. A bench to sit and watch for the bus. A hook for his backpack. Inspirational words. A spot for our behavior system, as well as before and after school routine charts. And, a rug since he’s going to be waiting with his shoes on. The functions were finalized.
I had a clear vision on how I wanted this space to look and a a buffalo check rug was part of my vision. I spent more hours than I care to admit searching for a rug in stores and online. The ones I found were either over budget or the wrong size. I was frustrated. Until, I had the idea to make one myself. How hard can it be?! Well, there was one point during the process I thought it was going to be a total flop, but it ended up turning out fantastic. I’m so happy with the final result!
Have you been on the hunt for a buffalo check rug? Can’t quite seem to find the right one? This DIY buffalo check tutorial is so simple it will blow your mind. I’m excited to share it with you.
Here it is, you guys! Eeeek!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure.
DIY BUFFALO CHECK RUG TUTORIAL
- Black Rug
- I found my rug at Walmart Canada for around $12. Later I found a very similar rug at Dollarama for $4. The rug I used is 2′ x 5′, but this tutorial will work on any black rug.
- Painter’s Tape
- Grey Spray Paint
- White Spray Paint
- Clear Spray Paint
1. Place a vertical strip of painters tape down the center of the rug. Working your way out from the center continue placing vertical strips of tape on the rug, using a small piece of painters tape as a spacer. Press tape down firmly to ensure edges are sealed.
2. Spray the rug with grey spray paint.
3. Once dry, remove the tape.
4. Place a horizontal strip of painters tape across the center of the rug. Working your way out from the center continue placing horizontal strips of tape on the rug, using a couple small pieces of painters tape as a spacer. Press tape down firmly to ensure edges are sealed.
5. Spray the rug with a light coat of white.
6. Once dry and without removing the horizontal strips, place vertical strips of tape over top of the area you taped in step 1. Press tape down firmly to ensure edges are sealed.
7. Spray the squares with one or two coats of white, depending on your desired look. Pictured below is only one coat and I did a second coat after.
8. Once dry, remove tape and spray the entire rug with a clear coat of spray paint.
And, there you have it… your very own buffalo check rug! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
If you make this buffalo check rug, I would love to see it! Email me a photo or share on instagram and tag me @robynjohanna_
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE!
PIN THIS TUTORIAL FOR LATER!
Prefer to buy instead of DIY? Check out these buffalo check rugs.