Are you a new blogger inspired by all the success stories, but wishing you could see someone’s beginning? You’ve come to the right place! I am sharing my blogging journey from the very beginning.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read the full disclosure.
Income reports are kind of a ‘thing’ in the blogging world. However, they say talking about money is taboo. Is it really taboo or does it just make us uncomfortable? After all, it’s only money. You may find it strange that this brand new blogger is writing income reports when she doesn’t make an income and that’s fair!
But, this monthly report is more than an income report, it’s about:
- setting goals & holding myself accountable
- having a place where I can record and look back on my progress
- documenting my journey from the very beginning
- inspiring other brand new bloggers to just keep going
So, let’s get to it!
If you are a regular reader of this series, then these next few sections will be a repeat for you so scroll on down to the numbers section.
ELITE BLOG ACADEMY (EBA)
A couple years ago I was reading the Busy Budgeter and came across Rosemarie’s review of Elite Blog Academy. This was the first I had ever heard of EBA. I was intrigued, so I continued reading. Rosemarie review in extensive and she shares her personal journey of taking her blog from brand new to full time income in less than a year. In her words, EBA changed her life! Needless to say, I was inspired!
Elite Blog Academy (EBA) is a comprehensive, step-by-step blogging course taught by Ruth Soukup of Living Well Spending Less. The course teaches you how to refine your message, grow your audience, monetize your platform and build your business. Like I said, comprehensive! After reading Rosemarie’s inspiring story, I joined the waitlist.
EBA only goes on sale once a year, so if you’re interested you can get on the EBA waiting list here.
MY EBA JOURNEY
I purchased EBA 3.0 in November of 2016. The course launched in March of 2017 and I promptly started and finished Unit 1. As soon as I completed Unit 1, I started Unit 2. I never made is past Unit 2. At the time, I was pregnant with my second and I didn’t have the drive to put in the hours the course required. I failed my first attempt at EBA.
I started EBA, for the second time, in June of 2018. Since it had been over a year since my first attempt, I decided to start the course from the very beginning. Deep down I knew my ideas for my blog had evolved so starting at the beginning was best. It took me a month to complete Unit 1. After spending a month on Unit 1, I immediately got started on Unit 2 only to hit another road block in a few short weeks. You can read more about that here.
Was this going to be another failed attempt at EBA?
No, no it wasn’t! We finished harvest and I started seeing a life coach. Read all about my first session with Amanda here. Ironically, during one of our sessions, Amanda brought up blogging. We had never talked about it and little did she know that I had been thinking about pursuing this for quite some time, long before I purchased EBA. The girl has amazingly accurate insight!
It was November 2018, I came home from my session with Amanda and restarted Unit 2 – TWO whole years after I purchased EBA 3.0. It had been so long, the program went through a revamp and was now EBA 4.0 (not 3.0)! It took me 4 months to complete Unit 2. FOUR MONTHS!!!! I mean, throw Christmas and a two and a half week European vacation in there, but still. Unit 2 was tough stuff for me!! I finished it on March 1, 2019 and promptly started Unit 3. I blew through Unit 3, because I was unintentionally doing some of it while I was working on Unit 2 (ops!).
After one failed attempt and a five month pause on the second attempt I finally launched my blog in March of 2019 – two years after starting Elite Blog Academy for the first time.
Anyone can purchase EBA. You can be a brand new blogger looking to get started on the right foot. Hello, that’s me! You can be a blogger well on your way and looking to grow. You can be a full time blogger looking to scale!
You see, I am the ambitious newbie starting from scratch with absolutely zero experience. Yes, that’s me! And although it is so very inspiring to hear all the Elite Blog Academy success stories, I often wish I could see someone’s beginning – where they started and how they progressed through the course. And, even though everyone’s beginnings look much different it would be a nice reminder that all those success stories did infact have a beginning! So here I am, honestly sharing my journey from the very beginning.
If you are even slightly interested in the course, be sure to get on the Elite Blog Academy waitlist here!
MY EBA TIMELINE & PROGRESS
There are a total of 12 units in Elite Blog Academy. My goal is to complete the course by December 31, 2019. Therefore, I have a little under 9 months to complete 9 units. So, 1 unit per month it is!
Here’s a look at my EBA progress thus far:
Unit 1 (1st Attempt)
- Started: March 12, 2017
- Finished: March 21, 2017
Unit 2 (1st Attempt)
- Started: March 22, 2017
- Finished: Never Finished
Unit 1 (2nd Attempt)
- Started: June 13, 2018
- Finished: July 11, 2018
Unit 2 (2nd Attempt)
- Started: July 11, 2018
- Restarted: November 5, 2018
- Finished: March 1, 2019
Blog Launched: March 2019
- Started: March 4, 2019
- Finished: March 12, 2019
- Started: March 26, 2019
- Finished: May 3, 2019
- This unit was schedule this month and I didn’t even start it. That’s right – I didn’t do a single thing. You will see why when you read through the expenses section.
MAY 2019 BLOG STATISTICS
- Monthly Unique Pageviews: 805 (+ 28%)
- Email Subscribers: 111 (+ 40 subscribers)
- Instagram: 381 followers (+ 40)
- Facebook: 135 followers (+ 6)
- Pinterest: 371 followers (+ 4)
- Pinterest Monthly Viewers: 45K (+16K)
- Pinterest Monthly Engaged: 1700 (+1000)
I really don’t know what any of these numbers truly mean. I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to blog analytics. But even though I don’t understand now, it will be fun to look back on when I do!
MAY 2019 BLOG INCOME
Total May Income: $0
MAY 2019 BLOG EXPENSES
MeetEdgar – $34 CND ($24.50 USD)
- I signed up on a three month promotion. The normal monthly cost is $50 USD.
- Interested in trying this social media game changer? Click here to receive $10 off MeetEdgar!
Tailwind – $20.55 CND ($15 USD)
- I use Tailwind for my Pinterest strategy and it saves me a ton of time!
- Click here to learn more about Tailwind.
ConvertKit – $40 CND
- I decided to use ConvertKit right off the bat. There are other email marketing services that are geared more toward newbies, but I didn’t want to learn one platform and then have to upgrade and learn a totally new platform.
- Click here to learn more about ConvertKit.
SiteGround Hosting – $6.67 CND
- I signed up back in November 2018 on a Cyber Monday promotion and paid for one year in full.
- I am on the GrowBig hosting plan. The promotional cost was $80.02 CND ($59.76 USD) for a full year. Check out SiteGround’s current pricing here!
The Knowledge Business Blueprint – $2700 CND
- I made a HUGE investment in myself and purchased a new course that I have been working through day & night, which is why I haven’t made any progress in EBA this month.
Total May Expenses: $2801.22
MAY 2019 PROFIT
Total May Profit: in the red $2801.22
Whoa! The course I invested in makes up more than 96% of this months expenses and I am so excited for how it is going to impact my business. Stay tuned!
GOALS FOR THE UPCOMING MONTH
Well, last month’s goals (Idea Organizing & Email Marketing) were pushed to the side when I purchased The Knowledge Business Blueprint. As I said earlier, I have been working through this course day & night!
1. Complete The Knowledge Business Blueprint
- Only a couple more modules to go!! Thanks to early Saturday mornings spent at my local Starbucks, I am on schedule to finish the course before I leave for RISE in mid-June.
2. Start Implementing
- When I first dove into The Knowledge Business Blueprint I was sure I made a mistake. I felt like the course was targeting those who were further along in their journey. However, thanks to the amazing support of Jenna Kutcher, she helped me see how I can implement this amazing information at the stage I am at now. As I progress through the course, I record all my ideas. Once I return from RISE it is time to get to work and turn those ideas into reality.
There you have it! A look at my EBA progress, income and goals as a brand new blogger. Are you new to blogging? I would love to hear about your journey in the comments below.
Interested in learning more about my journey as a blogger? Take a look!
- An Honest Look At A New Blogger’s Journey – Month 1
- An Honest Look At A New Blogger’s Journey – Month 2
If you’re interested in learning more about my journey, be sure to follow along on Instagram – my favourite place to hang out.